Although it may be traditional, dinner and movie is not the best idea for a first date. How can you get to know someone sitting in silence for two hours during a movie? Atlanta’s got so many alternatives that are anything bur ordinary. Here are 8 surefire ways to impress someone with first date plans.
1. Speakeasy –Show your date you are in the know by taking them to one of Atlanta’s speakeasies. Prohibition, located in Buckhead’s East Andrews complex, offers expertly crafted 1920s era cocktails. Enter through the red phone booth after dialing a secret number. Ask around at one of the restaurants in East Andrews to score the secret digits. On the northside, there’s Eleanor’s. Just pop into Muss & Turner’s next door, walk to the back and enter through the freezer door. 1Kept is not so much a speakeasy as a restaurant / bar, but it can be difficult to find off Peachtree and it does have the speakeasy vibe, so we’re including it in our list.
2. Sports – Take in a game. Sure, it’s sad we don’t have the Thrashers but we’ve still got the Braves and Falcons. A game is a super idea for a first date because there isn’t constant pressure to always be coming up with new talking points. Plus the people watching is terrific fun!
3. Music – While Vinings has evolved, it has also stayed cute and eclectic. Have dinner at Soho, an upscale restaurant with dark woods and excellent dishes. Then head over to the Vinings Inn (live music on weekends only), across the street. Just walk in and up the stairs like you know exactly where you are going. No on will stop you. Enjoy are drink on the patio if the weather allows for it.
4. Tapas – A weekday date is ideal at Eclipse di Luna, but weekends will get noisy and crowded. The Dunwoody location is a good, central meeting point if you both are coming from opposite sides of the city. And you can head for coffee and dessert at Café Intermezzo after. Alternatively, Barcelona Wine Bar in the Virginia Highland area is quite exceptional for tapas as well.
6. Brunch the Beltline – Who says a first date has to be in the evening? Everyone loves brunch, right? Head over to Parish and make your own Bloody Mary. Stroll along the beltline for a short walk and enjoy brunch at TWO Urban Licks.
5. Movie Buffs – Sure, movies are not good first date ideas, but if you are movie buffs, why not go on a tour with Atlanta Movie Tours? You can see some of the famous sites of movies that were filmed in Atlanta. Once back at the Castleberry Hill headquarters, have a bite at Smoke Ring or Bottle Rocket.
7. Brewery Tour– Over the last handful of years, a handful of breweries have popped up around the ATL serving delicious craft beer. Is there any other kind worth consuming? Most breweries offer free tours with the purchase of taste tickets.
8. Wine Tasting – Wednesdays are the unofficial “wine night” all around the city. Many restaurants offer some sort of tasting or discount on wine. Choose a restaurant you’ve been wanting to try and stay for dinner after the tasting? Or check out this date night I planned in Dunwoody.
Guys, ladies love it when a man puts some thought into planning a date. Go ahead and steal one of these ideas. Your secret is safe with me.