Just landed in the inbox: New Recipes from Chef Hector Santiago of Pura Vida, one of my favorite Atlanta Restaurants. This new recipe using Spanish Clementines plays on the sweet and spicy flavor combination Chef Santiago likes to use in many of his dishes.
I love Spanish Clementines, so tasty, delicious and so very east to peel. And I found out that the Trade Commission of Spain has donated crates of Clementines to Feeding America in Atlanta. How sweet! If you want to know more about clementines, click here.
Chef Hector Santiago’s Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
Served with Yellow Rice and Avocados
8 each Chicken Thighs, boneless, skin on
4 oz Chipotle Peppers in Adobo (half of an 8 oz. can)
8 each Clementines from Spain
4 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbs Oregano
1 each Cinnamon Stick
1/8 cup Ginger Bulb, peeled, sliced
2 cups Chicken Stock, warm
1 cup Water
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Salt
4 Tbs Cilantro, rough chop
1 each Smooth Skin Avocado, cut in 8 slices, skin off
Ingredients for Yellow Rice
2 cups Medium Grain Rice
4 cups Chicken Stock
1 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbs Annatto Seeds
2 each Bay Leaves
Method for Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
1. Zest the outer peel of 4 Clementines from Spain with a micro grater, being careful to only grate the first layer – one strike at a time. Save the zest of two Clementines from Spain.
2. Puree the Chipotle in Adobo with the addition of zest of 2 Clementines from Spain in a food processor until the flesh of the chilies is smooth but the seed still visible.
3. Cook the 4 Clemintines from Spain that have been zested in the water with ginger, sugar, cinnamon stick and 1tsp salt covered for 1 ½ hours; let cool.
4. Cut the cooked and cooled Clementines from Spain in ¼ segments; clean out any loose inner skin and seeds if any, save segments for the chicken and keep the liquid.
5. On a cutting board arrange all the thighs with flesh side up; butterfly the thick ends of the meat to level and stretch skin to be able to wrap into a roll.
6. Season flesh with salt, and let rest for 5 minutes; crush oregano with your fingers as you sprinkle it onto the meat.
7. Season thighs with 1 teaspoon of the chipotle and clementine puree mixture (from step #2), keeping the ends clean. Roll the thighs tightly with the skin covering all the meat. Secure with a toothpick.
8. Place thighs in a baking dish alternating with the cooked and cooled Clementines from Spain segments (seam side down); Season top of the skin with the kosher salt.
9. Mix together clementine cooking juices, the juice of 4 Clementines from Spain, chicken stock and add to the baking dish.
10. Bake at 350? for 25 minutes. Turn and cook for 10 minutes, then turn back to skin side up and cook another 5 minutes.
11. Remove toothpicks and serve chicken thighs topped with Clementines from Spain segments, Yellow Rice (see next recipe) and sliced avocado.
Method for Yellow Rice to Accompany Clementines from Spain Chipotle Roasted Chicken
1. Place Annatto seeds in a Pyrex cup and top with olive oil. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds or until it heats up, and the Annato colors the olive oil. Strain seed out and discard, saving the oil for the rice.
2. In a 2-Quart sauce pot, add Annatto oil and rice; warm up tossing the rice, to coat it with the oil.
3. Add bay leaf, chicken stock and salt; bring to a boil, cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, until liquid evaporates and rice is just cooked. Let it rest 5 minutes, covered.
Preparation Time: This dish will take about one hour to complete though the Clementines from Spain portion can be done in advance and save 30-40 minutes preparation time. Serves 4.
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes